Wednesday 18 November 2009

The Atlanta OneLight Experience

Well if I'm honest, I'm sat here with mixed feelings...Motivated, excited but also a little bit flat; only natural I guess when a week you've been looking forward to comes and goes way too quickly. You see last week I was fortunate enough to spend some time over in Atlanta, Georgia USA with photographer Zack Arias and take part in his now world famous OneLight Workshop.


I could go on and on about what an incredible experience it was... and believe me it was! Zack, aside from being a truly gifted photographer and teacher is without doubt one of the most generous, warm and honest people I've ever met.


I first met Zack, his wife Meghan and other team members Sherri and Erik the night before the workshop at what Zack calls a 'Mixer'. This is where he opens the studio to any photographer in the area to pop in for a chat and chill out, but not just that there's also a large spread of food and drink available too, and this is FREE to anyone who wants to pop in. Unbelievable!


Needless to say we had a great night, leaving in the early hours of Wednesday morning, only to return at 9.30am for the Workshop.


The Workshop itself was a packed day of teaching and shooting, full on from start to finish which I hasten to add was 2am the following morning; in Zack's own words "I'll keep talking and teaching until you're done".



I'm a firm believer that no-one knows it all, and we constantly need to keep studying this craft so to get the chance to spend some time with Zack was an experience I'll never forget for a whole host of reasons; how much I learned, the generosity and the new friendships to name but a few.


Thank you to Zack, his wife Meghan and team Sherri and Erik for making me feel so welcome and for an experience I'll never forget; I look forward to catching up with you in 2010.

* Here's a few photographs of some of the other attendees, Sarah McGee and John Shim:


4 comments:

Antonella Muscat 18 November 2009 at 20:49  

Well done to you for having travelled all that way for inspiration/learning. Understand the feeling of 'flatness' when you meet someone who's a great teacher and motivator and then they aren't around to keep you on your toes. Not many inspiring tutors around, but Zack manages to inspire even from a distance via his work and his projects.

Glyn Dewis 18 November 2009 at 20:51  

Couldn't agree more Antonella. Spending time over in Atlanta was just amazing and I met some wonderful people.

Zack & Meghan have HUGE hearts and it was privilege to spend time with them and an honour to be able to now call them friends.

Thanks for looking in ;o)

Noel Hannan 20 November 2009 at 08:53  

Hey Glyn, what a great set of shots and what a great experience it must have been. I look forward to you inspiring many photographers over this side of the pond

Glyn Dewis 20 November 2009 at 10:00  

Hi Noel,

Thanks for dropping in and for leaving a comment.
It was in a word...'Awesome'; I'll have to tell you all about it over a drink...or 2.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP